Summer Fun on PEI

With our truck finally fixed, we hit the New Brunswick road and headed for Prince Edward Island. Not that we are finished with New Brunswick, we are just going in a bit of a loop so we’ll do Prince Edward Island, then Nova Scotia, then Newfoundland, then the southern coast of Nova Scotia, then the southern coast of New Brunswick. Here’s a map in case you are not familiar with the Canadian Maritimes.

Canadian Maritimes

After crossing the impressive Confederation Bridge from New Brunswick to PEI, we set up camp at our site on Malpeque Bay and headed to the beach to enjoy the sunset. The bay has a very slow drop off and I was surprised to see people wading hundreds of feet out in the shallow water.

I made this photo of some teenagers as they were running in the water back to shore carrying their shoes. By metering the exposure for the sky, the people were rendered completely black and became silhouettes.

On any silhouette with a bright background like this, you need to watch for chromatic aberration. Say what? That is when you get a red line or a blue line right at the spot of highest contrast. Often you will get a red line on one side and a blue line on the other side of your silhouetted object. You can remove this in Photoshop using the noise filter (Filter>Noise>Reduce Noise). Leave the strength and details at 0 and move the color noise slider to 100% and that will remove the aberration.

Ahhh, such a lovely sunset. It was a sign of things to come…

8 Responses to “Summer Fun on PEI”

Great images Anne. The colors are amazing. PEI is relatively close to us but we never seem to get there. Will have to plan a trip soon after seeing your images.
    Len Saltiel recently posted..Vineyard Light and ShadowsMy Profile

• Anne McKinnell says:

Len, you must go to PEI. They call it “the gentle island” and it is a wonderful place to kick back and relax or just wander. I would seriously consider living there. Property prices are certainly a lot lot less than British Columbia!

2. Annie says:

Great shots of the clouds and sunsets Anne. I’m here in Moncton visiting my family for a few days then back to Sidney, BC. I imagine you are feeling the effects of Hurricane Irene in PEI? It’s pretty windy here!
    Don’t forget to take some photos of the infamous covered bridges here in NB and those old rustic barns.
    Take care and have fun.
    Annie recently posted..Portfolio 2: 2011My Profile

• Anne McKinnell says:

Hi Annie! Yes it is very windy here too. This is the first time I can remember such a warm wind. At home the storms are always cold, as you well know.

I did visit the covered bridge in Hartland, but I know there are many more to see. I’m looking forward to visiting New Brunswick again on my way south at the end of September. Thanks for stopping by!

3. Chris Nitz says:

I am loving the shot of the kids in the water. That just screams summer fun!
    Chris Nitz recently posted..Slowly FramingMy Profile

• Anne McKinnell says:

I think everyone is having extra fun because the summer is so late. I hope it stays around for awhile, I want to do some more playing in the ocean too!

4. I’m with Chris on the kids and water shot. Nothing says summer better.
    Chris Frailey recently posted..Sunset At The RimMy Profile