Western Brook Pond, Gros Morne National Park

Image if they flooded Yosemite valley. Some of you just shuttered at the thought, I know. Ok, image it was already flooded when you got there… That’s what Gros Morne National Park made me think of.

The boat trip through the Western Brook Pond fjord is an unforgettable experience. It has some of the most spectacular scenery I have seen including sharp ridges, huge cliffs, coastal bogs and dramatic ocean inlets.

Western Brook Pond, Gros Morne National Park

It’s remarkable geology won it a spot on the World Heritage List. Here you can see with your own eyes the solidified magma from the earth’s lower crust which rose when the continents pulled apart. Later (much later) glacial ice scoured the area creating the fjords of Western Brook Pond.

Western Brook Pond, Gros Morne National Park

I always find it difficult taking images from a moving vehicle (even though I get a ton of practice on my own boat … but then again I’m driving at the same time – I digress). I look at them and imagine how much better they could be if I had my tripod and my filters and a solid piece of land to stand on.

I’ll have a few more images from this excellent boat trip tomorrow.

10 Responses to “Western Brook Pond, Gros Morne National Park”

1. Chris Nitz says:

Give me a kayak and a day to sit and paddle on these waters. What a beautiful scene!
    Chris Nitz recently posted..Terror SistersMy Profile

• Anne McKinnell says:

Hi Chris, you know I didn’t see any kayaks at all. It was a 3 km walk (gentle flat terrain some of it even boardwalk) to get to the lake, so maybe that is too far to carry a kayak, or maybe it was just late in the season. They should rent them! I believe they said that the tour boat was flown in in 3 pieces and assembled in their boathouse on the lake.

What a beautiful spot.
    Edith Levy recently posted..Trattoria Della StampaMy Profile

3. QT Luong says:

They’ve actually flooded a valley in Yosemite, Hetch-Hetchy, which according to John Muir, used to rival Yosemite Valley in beauty.

• Anne McKinnell says:

Hi QT!! Right, I remember hearing about that when I visited Yosemite last year. I think most people viewed it negatively. I don’t know much about the issue, but I can understand why people would want to preserve it in its natural beauty. Western Brook Pond is natural, so at least nothing was destroyed to create it.

4. Russ Bishop says:

Another gorgeous spot on your journey Anne. It does remind me of Yosemite Valley and, as QT pointed out, they did flood Yosemite’s sister valley Hetch-Hetchy.

• Anne McKinnell says:

Hi Russ, I wonder if you can paddle through Hetch-Hetchy, it must be amazing. I’ll have to put that on my new bucket list :)

5. Wow, great location I hope to get there someday. Looks like it would have some great fall color soon.
    Alan Majchrowicz recently posted..am_110416_44332.tif by Alan Majchrowicz/©Alan MajchrowiczMy Profile

• Anne McKinnell says:

Hi Alan, I hope you do visit Gros Morne, I know you would do it justice :) I bet there will be some great fall colour, it was just starting when I left. It was getting cold too!