Overwhelming the smaller beauty

Earlier this week I showed you some images of Western Brook Pond in Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland. There you see staggering views of 2,000 ft cliffs that tower over the clear, clean lake with lovely brooks and waterfalls leading the way down. The cliffs were carved by glaciers. After the glaciers melted, the land rebounded and the fjord was cut off from the sea. Salty water was eventually flushed from the fjord leaving it fresh.

All of this geological history and remarkable scenery overwhelms the smaller beauty you can find when walking out across the marshy bog on the way to the boat trip. Your mind, so excited by the glimpses of the adventure to come, can overlook the beauty at your feet.

Western Brook Pond Marsh, Gros Morne National Park

There is a lot more to Gros Morne National Park than the iconic Western Brook Pond, and next week I’ll have more images from other places in the park. Plus, I have a super exciting announcement to share with you!!!

13 Responses to “Overwhelming the smaller beauty”

Beautifully composed with a fantastic leading line Anne.
    Len Saltiel recently posted..Cliff LivingMy Profile

2. Marc Perkins says:

Looks like an absolutely gorgeous location! And I agree; it’s all to common for folks to miss the little things at the places they go to.

Of course, those of us who like to focus on the little beauty all around us often annoy everyone else. Just ask my hiking partners what they think of my pace when I’ve got a camera out :)
    Marc Perkins recently posted..Hiking in Crystal Cove State Park and camping at Lower Moro CampgroundMy Profile

• Anne McKinnell says:

Hi Marc. I know exactly what you mean!! I always move about 2 steps when I see something different or a different angle on something I just photographed. It drives other people crazy! No wonder I usually go out alone!!

Great shot Anne…beautiful composition.
    Edith Levy recently posted..The Words of the Prophets Are Written on the Subway Walls…..My Profile

4. Sheila says:

I’m often also after the little details when I take photos.

Your photos are beautiful. Thanks for sharing them.
    Sheila recently posted..CNA CertificationMy Profile

• Anne McKinnell says:

Thank you very much for the visit and comments Sheila, I appreciate it. While this isn’t a close-up detail image, it is so easy to overlook scenes of a marsh when you have huge jagged cliffs taking all the attention.

5. Adam Allegro says:

What a sweet path. This looks like a fantastic place to visit. I hope you had fun!!
    Adam Allegro recently posted..The Canals of VeniceMy Profile

• Anne McKinnell says:

Hi Adam, thanks for the comments. I did have a great time. I love getting out on the water and with surroundings like these it was absolutely incredible.

6. Kris Koeller says:

What a great shot. Not heard of this one. We’ve done many national parks in Canada, but might need to add this one to the list. Well captured.
    Kris Koeller recently posted..Daily Photo: The John Day Fossil BedsMy Profile

7. Marc Collins says:

Love images like this. Great lead in lines
    Marc Collins recently posted..Sky Catalogue?My Profile