The Spaces Between

Yesterday I was talking to some photographers about how photography is similar to writing in that the things you choose to leave out are as important as what is left in. Sometimes when you tell the whole story at once you take away the mystery.

That led me to this photograph I made at Hopewell Rocks in the Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick. If you look closely at yesterday’s image, you can see this composition in it. But this image to me is stronger. Obviously the rocks are there, but there is some mystery about what exactly the rocks are and where the photographer is located within the scene.

Hopewell Rocks, Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick
Please click to view a larger version.

12 Responses to “The Spaces Between”

1. Kris Koeller says:

Excellent shot. I think the two (this and yesterday’s) go very well together. Great that you captured the sun just inside the framing. Well done.
    Kris Koeller recently posted..Visit to Parrot Cay in the Turks & CaicosMy Profile

2. Chris Nitz says:

Most excellent comp and lighting.
    Chris Nitz recently posted..Farewell ToadMy Profile

Stunning Anne. Both images (yesterdays and today) are great but you’re right this one is stronger. The composition, lighting and the way you’ve captured the sunburst just inside the rock frame…fantastic.
    Edith Levy recently posted..New Craft & Vision eBook – Making Light II – Advanced Use of Off-Camera FlashMy Profile

4. Love this comp!
    Chris Frailey recently posted..Dappled WindowsMy Profile

5. Uwe says:

A great view and light.
    Uwe recently posted..From BelowMy Profile

6. Anne McKinnell says:

Thanks Kris. I thought about posting all 4 of the images in one post to show the different perspectives, but lately I have been trying to post an image every week day so I broke them up. I’m not sure if readers prefer one longer post or short posts more frequently. Thank you very much for the compliment.

7. Anne McKinnell says:

Thank you very much Chris, I appreciate it.

8. Anne McKinnell says:

Thank you Edith. I was glad I got there well before sunrise. When I saw where the sun was going to rise, I tried to position myself so it would come up inside one of the spaces. I usually have a compass for this so I don’t have to wait until the last minute, but I lost it. Well it makes that last minute exciting trying to find that composition before the sun gets too high. Thank you so much for your comments.

9. Anne McKinnell says:

Thank you very much Chris!

10. Piper Mackay says:

Really beautiful. I am so glad you are enjoying this year and took time to live this dream.

• Anne McKinnell says:

Hi Piper, great to see you here! I’m glad I took this year to live the dream too :) I hope I will be able to continue after the year is over. It’s always been a dream of mine to go on an African Safari and I would love to go with you on one of your workshops one day. That would be living the dream too!

11. Anne McKinnell says:

Thanks Uwe. I like your avatar :) So cute the way the legs are going out sideways!