Two (more) perspectives on Hopewell Rocks

I like to get different perspectives on the same subject so that when they are put together as a series, the viewer can more easily imagine the experience of a place. In the past two days I showed you different perspectives on a grouping of rocks at Hopewell Rocks, Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia. This is a remarkable location with endless opportunities to practice different perspectives. Wednesday’s post, Walking on the Ocean Floor, was a pre-dawn image where the rocks were almost in silhouette (it would have been silhouette if it weren’t for HDR processing which allowed me to keep some detail in the rocks). Thursday’s post, The Spaces Between, was a closer view where the rocks were in silhouette forming a frame around the sunrise.

Today I have two more images which emphasize the difference photographer-to-subject distance makes. The first is a fairly long distance shot taken at 55mm (Geek note: it is really 35mm on a 24-105L lens on a Canon 7D which has a crop factor of 1.6 so the equivalent is 55). Here you get a pretty good idea what the rocks look like when you are standing on the other side of the beach.

Hopewell Rocks, Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia
Please click to view larger.

The second shot of the same rocks was taken at a different time of day when the rocks were in the shade due to overcast skies. When the sky is overcast it is a perfect time for taking close-up shots that exclude the sky. This image was taken at 20mm. That means that the seaweed was mere inches away from my lens. (Geek note: this was taken with a Sigma 10-20mm EFS lens which has no multiplier effect.)

Hopewell Rocks, Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia
Please click to view larger.

I think these four images work well together to provide different perspectives on the same subject and give the viewer a sense of experience.

Comments

Terrific series of shots Anne. These 2 are amazing and love them both for different reasons. The first is so warm and inviting. The lighting and your composition are awesome. I lvoe he details of the rocks on the second and the different color graduation.
    Edith Levy recently posted..Badland PaparazziMy Profile

2. Anne McKinnell says

Thank you very much Russ. I quite like the second image myself, but it is more abstract that the wide angle view.

Hi Anne – I always enjoy seeing other perspectives on my favourite place. I live nearby and the Rocks is my off-season haunt. As a side note, not too long ago, the formation in your top photo actually had a great profile that some thought looked like Jay Leno. Unfortunately, the nose/chin fell off. :-)
    Deborah Carr recently posted..Letting Go (Mondays with gratitude #24)My Profile

• Anne McKinnell says

Hi Deborah! Thanks so much for your visit and comments. It was a really pretty part of the world and I very much enjoyed my visit to New Brunswick. I honestly had no idea New Brunswick was so nice! The rocks are a great place to hang out. I wish I had more time there because the opportunity for unique compositions seems endless. I’m changing the website on Monday, so it will look different when you come back, which I hope you do :)

4. Anne McKinnell says

Thank you so much Ethan, that really means a lot to me coming from you. I am trying to emulate the real pros :)

5. Anne McKinnell says

:) Aww, thanks Chris. I am trying to put some miles on my shutter finger so I’m glad you think the work is getting better. Hmm, I wonder how long it takes to wear out a 7D?

6. Anne McKinnell says

Hi Ginevre, thank you very much for the feedback and comments. The colour, texture and shape is exactly what attracted me to this composition, so I’m glad that left an impression.