Falling Water Cascade, Virginia

It was so windy in Shenandoah National Park during our visit that I didn’t get many fall colour photos there. But we continued on down the Blue Ridge Parkway which runs around 450 miles through the mountains along the Appalachian Trail. This is a waterfall that is not in the National Park, but it was one of the prettiest spots I found along the Parkway.

While not readily apparent when viewing the scene, the leaves next to the fall were slowly moving around in a circle. I made this image using a 15 second exposure to blur the water and the movement of the leaves in the foreground.

Please click the image to view a larger version.

Falling Water Cascade, Blue Ridge Parkway, Virginia

I will have more images from here later this week.

8 Responses to “Falling Water Cascade, Virginia”

1. Curt Fleenor says:

Wonderful capture Anne! I love the leaves that are circling at the base of the falls. High wind was also an issue I had to contend with on the southern end of the Parkway. I hope to travel the northern leg next fall.
    Curt Fleenor recently posted..Evening GrazeMy Profile

• Anne McKinnell says:

Hi Curt, yes the fall foliage thing was definitely more difficult (impossible) with the wind. Unless you just go for the abstract thing and try to make it look intentional! I was pretty happy when I noticed that the leaves were going around in a circle on the long exposures! It was a fun day, especially after all the days of trying to get foliage with no luck.

2. LensScaper says:

Very unusual but really effective. I can see an orange rose in the foreground swirl of leaves. A lovely abstract – ‘impressionism’ perhaps is the word ‘m searching for.
    LensScaper recently posted..Microscapes of AutumnMy Profile

• Anne McKinnell says:

Hi Andy, yes impressionist is perfect! It’s hard to get just the right exposure so you can see the circling but not too much that it is all just a blur. Thanks for your comments!

3. Uwe says:

Great colors, love the movement of the leafs.
    Uwe recently posted..To the bitter endMy Profile

• Anne McKinnell says:

Thanks Uwe, it was one of the few good fall colour shots I got! I had to give up on sharp and go for blurry!

4. Mike Shaw says:

Anne – my back yard… Next time you are in the neighborhood, let me know! I’ll buy lunch.
    Rgds,