A Welcome Return to the Coast

There’s nothing like the ocean. When I’m away I miss it. Up in the mountains the air seems thin.

I yearn for the moist salty air, the taste of the salt on my lips on a windy day, and the texture of my handful of sand.

Have you ever noticed that the texture of the sand is different on every beach?

I like the sound of the waves; sometimes crashing big slow waves, sometimes small fast waves, sometimes so calm you can barely hear the waves.

Whenever I am at the beach or on a boat I feel like I am in the exact right place.

After our journey along the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia I was anxious to get back to the coast. When it came time to rise for sunrise at Folly Beach in South Carolina, the excitement filled me. The drive to the beach was fast that early in the day and I arrived about 30 minutes before twilight, leaving plenty of time to wander down the beach, slowly finding my perfect spot – which was somewhat unnecessary since I scouted out the location the day before. Unnecessary but necessary at the same time.

Please click the image to view a larger version.
Folly Beach Pier, Charleston, South Carolina

There’s something special about having to use a flashlight to see your camera settings. Or that satisfying feeling you get when you can do it without the flashlight because your fingers already know where all the buttons and dials are.

22 Responses to “A Welcome Return to the Coast”

1. Beautiful shot Anne. Fantastic colors and a great composition to show them off.

And I really like the new look of your site.
    Steven Perlmutter recently posted..Lighthouse Skeleton IIMy Profile

2. Jimi Jones says:

What a great shot, Anne. Love the soft color and reflections. I’m with you, as long as I’m near the water I’m at home. ;-)

Lovely new site, congrats! Look very nice.
    Jimi Jones recently posted..1931 FordMy Profile

3. Edith levy says:

Oh I love this Anne. Fantastic shot. The lighting, the composition, the color of the sky….perfection.
    Edith levy recently posted..An Italian VignetteMy Profile

Wow, Anne. I just love this image. Great light with wonderful warm colors. One of my favorites of yours. Very nice redesign on the web site.

5. Now, that’s what I call gorgeous my friend!!
    Toad Hollow Photography recently posted..Old Stone Butter ChurchMy Profile

6. LensScaper says:

I could stare at this for a long, long time. There’s so much to enjoy. If I had to single something out it would be the contrast between the soft lavender of the water in the distance and the rich red of the sky just above the horizon. This is a winner.
    LensScaper recently posted..Red AstersMy Profile

7. Russ Bishop says:

Really nice shot Anne – and the new website looks terrific!

8. Uwe says:

Wonderful subject and an incredible light. I love it!
    Uwe recently posted..Morning BeautyMy Profile

9. Gaye says:

Excellent shot Anne, I do really love the reflections, the soft color, with the perfect background.
    Gaye recently posted..Getting Pregnant QuickMy Profile

10. Kris Koeller says:

I do miss the beach as well. Living in New York, I’m less than a mile from the ocean but it rarely occurs to me to go there. Its just not the same as “the beach.” Nicely captured.
    Kris Koeller recently posted..Yves St. Laurent’s Gardens in Marrakech, MoroccoMy Profile

• Thank you Kris. I didn’t visit New York on this trip since we are avoiding cities, but I would love to go there some day. We’re thinking our next trip around we will visit cities, maybe when we don’t have dogs.

11. Lib says:

Hi Anne,
    Beautiful Capture.. I have been browsing your new ebook and am excited to try all of your recommendations~ I thought my work was beautiful to begin with, but with your help and guidance, it will be outstanding and more captivating than I ever dreamed possible~
    Thanks for being such a great inspiration to me. I look forward to meeting you someday when you return to Ft Myers Area..
    Wishing you the Best,