Top 10 Images of 2011

Just because all the cool kids are doing it … these are my top 10 favourite images I made over the past year. All of these images I made on my journey since I decided to change my life – none of them were in my portfolio a mere 6 months ago.

As always, you can click on the images to view larger versions.

Steptoe, Washington

Lone Tree Sunrise – White Mountains National Forest, New Hampshire
White Mountains National Forest, New Hampshire

Falling Water Cascades – Blue Ridge Parkway, Virginia
Waterfall at Blue Ridge Parkway, Virginia

Folly Silhouette – Charleston, South Carolina
Folly Beach, Charleston, South Carolina

I am really happy with my development as a photographer over the past year. You can check out my top 10 list from 2010 to see if you think there is any improvement. Tomorrow I will be writing about some of my photographic accomplishments of 2011.

Do you have a top 10 images from 2011 list you would like to share? Please feel free to add a link to it in the comments!

Comments

Beautiful set Anne! My personal favorites here are Green Point stones and Boneyard. The stones image has a dynamic feel to it, almost if the stones are marching out to sea. I love the soft light in Boneyard, and the simplicity.
    Mark recently posted..Top Nature Photographs of 2011My Profile

Hi Mark, thank you for your great comments! I like the part about the stones marching out to sea, great visual. I think I might have to change the name of that photo to “marching stones” or something like that. I very much enjoyed your top 10 from 2011 too and wish you good light in 2012.

Hi Chris, well, they must have really impressed if you showed them to your wife :) I’m so glad you both enjoyed them. I have enjoyed seeing your photos over the past year too. All the best in 2012.

Anne
    I only discovered your website and blog a few days ago but have been enjoying catching up on your journeys. What a great adventure you’re having. I wouldn’t mind trying it out for a while.

My favorites of your top 10 are Boys,Boys, Boys and Green Point Stones. I thought the stones were from Otter Beach in Acadia NP. I’m a nature photographer but the picture of the boys really caught my eye. Well done.

Safe travels and keep the pictures and blog entries coming.

Hi Richard, nice to meet you! You should try out this adventure, it is awesome. I did go to Otter Beach in Acadia, but I didn’t manage to capture it as well as I had hoped. The Green Point Stones were taken in Newfoundland which is absolutely fabulous if you have never been there. I don’t usually include people in my images either, but I couldn’t help myself with the boys. Thank you very much for your visit and comments. By the way, did you get yourself a copy of my free ebook?

Hi Deanna, it was definitely hard to choose! I tried to include one from before my trip, but I couldn’t do it. It is hard too because I am so close to the images, I find I always like my recent photos better than the older ones. Thanks for taking the time to look. Happy New Year!

3. Kaz says

I like what I see.
    Will read too.
    I’m sure if it matches the photographic skills it will be good as well.
    Good luck in 2012.
    Keep traveling..
    Kaz

Hey Alan! Thanks for the visit. I always find it interesting which images people prefer. I remember that morning at Lake McDonald I was so disappointed because I was sure I didn’t get a single decent image after getting up so early for the sunrise. But then when I looked at the images after they weren’t so bad after all. It’s the only time I’ve been to Glacier and I would like to return to get another shot at making some images like yours. I really enjoyed seeing your top images from 2011 too.

4. Joe Hudspeth says

Putting it mildly-these are truely beautiful. This is so much fun for me to watch as you go! Great job and I hope 2012 is great for you!

Hi Andy, thank you very much for the compliment. I always find I like my more recent images more than the older ones, I think I am just more emotionally attached to them. That one from Steptoe is from the beginning of the trip but I like the texture in the hills. Thank you so much for all your encouragement over the past few months, I really appreciate it. Happy New Year!

Wonderful images. Especially love Green Point Stones and Steptoe, Washington. Have now signed up for your newsletter and look forward to looking and learning.

Hi Karen, thanks for signing up for the newsletter. I hope you find the ebook helpful. If you ever have any questions or anything feel free to ask! I’m here to help if I can. Thanks for your kind comments about my images. The stones and steptoe seem to be popular favourites in this set.

I can see why these are your favourites Anne although it must have been difficult choosing. I’m looking forward to seeing your images from the next six months!

Hi Richard, thank you very much for your visit and comments. King’s Landing was a great place to visit! We had a really fun day and I got to practice my hand-held HDR technique and got some unusual shots. It was a great year and I hope the next is just as good. Happy New Year to you.

Hi Jackson, thank you for stopping by to have a look and letting me know what your favourites are. It is always good to know which images resonate the most with other people.

Hi Anne,
    Thank you for sharing your awesome adventure this past year. Love the 12 you chose, and so many others! Green Point Stones is my personal favorite. Best wishes for 2012!

Hi Debby! Are you the same Deb Lewinson I recognize from betterphoto? In any case, thank you for following my adventure, I really appreciate your taking the time to read and comment.

Right back atcha Toad, I’m so glad I found you Toads and your fabulous work this year. I love reading all your story, seeing the images and you have been a very supportive friend. I can’t wait to see what you come up with in the next year too!

8. latoga says

Wow Anne, looks like the first 3/4 of your mid life adventure turned out really amazing by the looks of these favorites. I really love the photo with the boys in it, you should focus more on people as well as landscapes (pun intended).

Travel safe in 2012 and enjoy chasing the light!
    latoga recently posted..Another Way to Measure a YearMy Profile

Hi Greg, thanks very much for the compliment. The mid-life crisis is really working out for me :) I probably should try to include more people in my photographs, especially if I want to “focus” on travel photography. I’m never sure if it is travel or nature that I am focussing on. Thanks again for the visit and comments.

Hi Adam! Thank you very much for the compliment. Don’t you just love Toad’s lists on Lighstalking.com? As much as I look at photography all week long, he always find gems that I missed. It makes me feel special that I am in the list of gems! I’m looking forward to seeing what happens in your travels in 2012 too. Happy Trails!

Hi Paul, thank you very much for your comments. Yes, I do HDR. I use photomatix to combine my exposures and I sometimes will double process using topaz adjust. I checked out your flickr page and you have some nice HDR work there! I haven’t been active on flickr for ages but I’ve been thinking lately I should give it another shot. There’s just so much since I spend quite a bit of time here on my blog as well as twitter and google plus. I still use facebook but it sucks so bad I don’t really have conversations there, I just post stuff. Keep in touch!

9. Joe Cosentino says

Your lone tree at sunrise in NH looks like one of the cell towers we have here that are supposed to look like a tree. They usually stand out like a sore thumb. But on the other hand I love to morning colors and all your othe shots

Joe

Hi Joe! OOooooohhh, that totally makes sense. I wondered why there was that one huge tree that was so much bigger than all the others!!! :) Well, you know, if it had looked like a cell tower the image wouldn’t be the same. And if it wasn’t there at all, there would be no focal point. I think that’s a cool idea to at least try to disguise them as trees. Hey, maybe I should try to sell that image to the cell company!! Thank you very much for your comments.

Trackbacks