The Crazy Dance of the Reddish Egret

I have so many bird images from my visit to the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge I could keep showing them for months! I really want to move on the Everglades but before I do I want to have at least one post for of each of the bird species I photographed.

This was the first time I saw a Reddish Egret. They are very unique with the colours of their feathers. When I first got there it was one of the first birds I saw and he was standing in the water all stoic and regal.

Reddish Egret, Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge, Florida

That was until he decided to go fishing and then he turned into a crazed goofy bird running along the top of the water! It was just like that episode of “Friends” where Phoebe goes jogging and she runs like a total moron, remember that? The Reddish Egret is just like that, it was hysterical.

Please click the images to view larger versions.

Reddish Egret, Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge, Florida

Reddish Egret, Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge, Florida

Reddish Egret, Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge, Florida

Comments

1. Mim Eisenberg says

I’ve only seen reddish egrets do their goofy hunting “dance” once, down in south Texas, but the memory always makes me smile.

Thank you very much Len, well it is much easier to get a clear sharp image when he’s standing so still like that. I think he was posing for me before his crazy dance started.

Hi Howard, funny that’s is my favourite part of the images too, the water dripping off the feet! I think it’s because that is so hard to see when you are watching but in the photo it stands out and freezes the moment. Thank you very much for your comments.

Hi Edith. Yes, he does look different doesn’t he? I wonder what they do with their long necks when they stand still like that. I think the feathers are just covering the long neck. When I was processing I wondered for a minute if it was the same bird but I distinctly remember watching him standing there and then he took off to go fishing. Thank you very much for your kind compliment.

2. snowy says

Anne, I like getting to see the sequence you shot. Looks like you’re able to keep a pretty steady hand with that big lense too which if I remember right doesn’t have IS. Snowy

Hi Snowy, you are quite right it doesn’t have image stabilization, but it does have a very fast auto-focus and I kept the shutter speed high, usually around 1/800 or 1/1000 second with that lens. I know they say 1/focal length is the general guideline, but I found for this lens it was better to have an even faster shutter speed to keep the sharpness. I’m glad you liked the sequence, thank you very much for your comments.