The Best Spoonie Yet

This image is the reason I have always wanted to visit Florida. I had many types of bird images in my imagination, but this is the one I really really wanted. A Roseate Spoonbill standing in still water with a perfect reflection.

Roseate Spoonbill, Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge, Florida
Roseate Spoonbill, Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge, Florida

Please click the image to view a larger version.

I captured many images of birds in Florida, but this is the one that left me feeling satisfied. Mission accomplished.

I am in Big Bend National Park in Texas this week with very limited internet access but I have scheduled more bird reflections to go up on the blog every day this week for you to enjoy.

Comments

Hi Alexander, sorry for the late reply, I have been on very limited internet lately. I used a Canon 400mm f/5.6L lens (a beauty). The settings were ISO200, f/5.6, 1/500second.

Thank you very much Len ;) you are too kind. Well I’m getting lots of practice on this trip, that was the idea, put some miles on this shutter finger. Thanks for the kind compliment.

Hi there sis! Nice to see you here. Wow, it must be good if someone in my own family leaves a comment on the blog – that’s unheard of :P I’m really glad you like him, it is definitely one of my favourite images I have made so far on the trip. Thanks for leaving a comment, I’m glad you visit once in awhile.

1. Mim says

Wonderfully colorful, Anne. I’m so happy you got the shot you dreamed of.

Enjoy Big Bend. I was there for a few days in the early ’80s. I loved the Window Trail. Interestingly, I recently finished a Nevada Barr book that took place in Big Bend, BORDERLINE.

Hi Mim, thank you very much! I am loving Big Bend. I went on the window trail a few days ago but the little flies chased me away. I’ll have to try again wearing my armour. Thanks for the book recommendation! I really like reading books that are set in the area where I am travelling. I’m a little behind though – reading “gone with the wind” set in Georgia right now. I’m also trying to read some classics. I added the Nevada Barr book to my list, but the kindle book is more expensive than the paperback! I wasn’t sure if I would like the kindle but I haven’t put it down since I got it!

Hi Mark, No, I’m definitely not finished! I hope I am just getting started. But it was nice to get the shot I really really wanted in the bag. And yes, those colours are in fact real!! He’s a really colourful bird in the soft light.

Lovely photo of one of my favorite Florida birds. I am very envious, but thank you.

I have seen a spoonie in a pond next to a block of condos in St. Pete but where did you take this one?

Hi Jon, Thank you very much for your comments. The spoonbill is one of my favourite birds too because they are so unique. I found this one at Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge near Fort Myers.

3. Danelle Jones says

Anne, I live within an easy drive to two natural areas, Green Cay and Wakodahatchee Wetlands near Delray Beach FL, and we have had very limited Spoonbills the last two years. They are one of my “lifetime” photos that I would like to say I have captured. Your photo of the spoonie is stunning!! I guess I will just have to make the drive to the west coast of FL to Ding Darling for a chance to snap my spoonie. Thanks so much for sharing. I am enjoying reading about your experiences and thoughts on photography… I am truly so happy when I am photographing, especially nature.

Hi Danelle, thank you very much for your comments. It sounds like we have the quest for the spoonie image in common! I had been waiting for ages to get the chance to make an image like that. Ding Darling was truly fabulous and I’m sure you will love it there. I rented a lens especially for the occasion. Spoonbills are the best! I’m glad you are enjoying the blog :)