Bourbon Street, New Orleans

My first experience of New Orleans was checking out Bourbon Street at night. The party was on, people were everywhere, music was everywhere, and those bright green drinks were everywhere too. It was actually the week before Fat Tuesday so it was much less crowded than it would be in the height of the event.

Since I was expecting crowds and hadn’t been there before, I decided not to take all my camera gear. Instead I took my backup camera, a Canon XSI, and my lensbaby and had some fun with that.

If you are interested in lenbabies, you can look it up to get the details on what it is, but essentially it is a lens that you pull in an out and it curves around sideways giving you interesting blurry effects. I bought mine before we left on our trip, but I have only played with it once before, so I really don’t know what I’m doing with it. It sure is fun to play with though.

I can’t say the experiment was successful since I had a really hard time getting anything at all in focus. There should be a small “sweet spot” somewhere in the frame that is in focus, but most of my frames were entirely blurry. Only a few of my photos turned out, these three are the best of them.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Please click on the images to view larger versions.

New Orleans, Louisiana

New Orleans, Louisiana
There was a heavy police presence and the crowd was really well behaved.

I think I just need more practice, but the blurry effect does demonstrate what the night was like! We had a lot of fun seeing the sights and listening to some fantastic music, but I wouldn’t recommend that bright green drink.

We went back down the next day to walk around the city and I made this image of one of the decorated buildings. The night before there were people lining the balcony throwing beads down to people in the crowd.
New Orleans, Louisiana

27 Responses to “Bourbon Street, New Orleans”

1. What a coincidence you posted Lensbaby shots today. I have been thinking of getting one for the last year and finally got one this past weekend and have been shooting with it nonstop trying to get used to it. I really like the night time shots with the neon you captured. I love your work Anne and enjoy the rest of your adventures.

2. Russ Bishop says:

You really captured the vibrancy of the city here Anne. And whenever I’m in a creative funk, the Lensbaby is a sure-fire way to jump start the creative juices.
    Russ Bishop recently posted..Southwest SeductionMy Profile

• Hi Russ, thank you very much, that is what I was going for with the neon lights. The lensbaby sure was fun to use. It is really hard to focus though, maybe because I wear glasses, I’m not sure. I am struggling getting that sweet spot.

3. Great shots Anne. I’ve never been there but have always wanted to go.
    Chris Frailey recently posted..A Day at the Ostrich FestivalMy Profile

• Hi Chris, New Orleans was a lot of fun. I think we went at a good time of year because Mardi Gras was underway, but not at the height of the event when it is really packed and more expensive. Thanks for your comments!

4. Rory Moulton says:

That last shot is a dandy! I miss my old home.

• Hi Rory, you used to live there? Wow you must have had lots of opportunities to hear some good music. That was my favourite part about the city. Thank you very much for your comments.

Looks like a fun party. I really like the Lensbaby shots.
    Edith Levy recently posted..Freedom TowerMy Profile

6. I love the first three images…they appeal to me so much! They have a very natural energy…
    Siddhartha Joshi recently posted..(not) frozen balls…My Profile

• Hi Siddhartha, thanks for your comments. You know, I wasn’t too sure about that last image either. The night images show off the city’s energy better. I really appreciate your feedback.

7. Matt says:

That first shot is gold. You really get a sense of the colors and flurry of activity there. Great shot! I’ve never used a lens baby before but these images make me want to try one on.

• Hey Matt, thank you so much for the compliment. I bought the cheapest lensbaby to try it out and it is fun to use. Now I wonder if the other models would be easier to focus though.

8. Nice selection Anne, I like the horse portrait!

9. Nice photos Anne. I haven’t tried a lensbaby before, but I suspect 100% blurry shots of Bourbon Street accurately shows what a lot of people see there. The parts they remember anyway!
    Michael Russell recently posted..Mount Matier Black and WhiteMy Profile

10. Alexander says:

Question Anne,
    The last picture is an HDR ?
    It is so beautiful.
    Alex

11. Darryl Vincent says:

Glad you had a great time in “My City of New Orleans”. Our paths probably crossed as I was there the weekend before “Fat Tuesday(Mardi Gras). Had wonderful food, lots of drinks and lots of photos of sites around the Greater New Orleans area and a parade. The torrential downpour on Saturday did dampen(no pun) the festivities a little but still managed some great photos. Posted them on Facebook is you have a chance to peruse. Please have fun, be safe and keep thoses WONDERFUL photos coming. Your friend…..Darryl

• Hi Darryl, those are some great parade photos you have on your facebook page! Very cool floats and you did a great job capturing them. Thank you very much for your comments.

12. Mark Neal says:

Nice shots, Anne. The horse is my favorite. That look just screams “Attitude”.
    Mark Neal recently posted..HDR – The Arches in Fort MaconMy Profile

13. imamtho says:

Anne, you have a great adventure.
    Lensbaby is exciting and in the same time is frustrating also :)
    imamtho recently posted..“Bend The Traffic”My Profile

• Hi Imamtho, thank you so much, it is an incredible adventure!! I think I just need more practice with the lensbaby, it is hard to use when you have to hold the lens in with your fingers and press the shutter at the same time without changing the focus.

14. Richard says:

Beautiful Anne. I went there for a week when I was in college. Lots of fun, and I had one of those drinks which is called a Hand Grenade. Tasted good but is uh, very potent… :-)