As many of you know, I recently conducted a reader survey to find out more about my audience so I can bring you the information you want. One thing I found out is that many of my readers are just like me (not that surprising really) so I thought these results might interest you too. Here they are:
So what does it meeeaaan?
After doing some analysis on the results, this is what I think it means:
- 60% of my audience is just like me. They consider themselves either professional photographers or serious hobbyists. 87% of this group said they are visiting my blog primarily to see the photos and only 40% are here to learn about photography. I didn’t ask this question, but I believe the majority of this audience have their own photo blogs also. I think this because I interact with them here in the comments and also on social media like twitter and Google + so I pretty much know who they are. They are my peers and are probably at a similar skill level as me.
- 38% of my audience considers themselves amateur photographers. 85% of this group said they are here to learn about photography and they would like to see more free tutorials and ebooks. If I want to market anything to this group in the future, it would probably be photography ebooks or mini-courses.
- Only 2% of my audience are not photographers. I was a little surprised here, I thought there might be more people who are only interested in travel aspect of the blog. But given the small number here, I know this segment of my audience is my family and friends.
- Out of the 98% of those of you who are photographers, only 9% didn’t buy any ebooks last year. You guys are ebook consumers! Also roughly 45% of you want to make a big change in your life, want to travel more, and want tips on living a location independent lifestyle.
- What I learned out of all this is:
- I need to grow the amateur segment of my audience so I have more people to market my ebooks to; and
- I should consider writing more about living a location independent lifestyle.
I’m not a statistics expert or anything, so if you have any opinions on what all this means, I would be happy to hear it! I just wanted to share this since 60% of you are similar to me and you might very well have a similar audience base too.
I should have mentioned in the survey that it was anonymous, so there were lots of comments and question, but I don’t know who said what so I cannot respond directly. Instead I will be responding to those comments and questions in Monday’s blog post.