Luna’s Jacal

At the edge of Alamo Creek in Big Bend National Park, Texas, Gilberto Luna built this jacal which is made of rock, earth and plant fiber. It was a scorching hot day the afternoon we were here and I was surprised to find how cool it was inside the jacal. It must have been somewhat uncomfortable though. At only around 4 feet high I had to bend over quite a bit to move around inside.

Luna's Jacal

Nevertheless, Luna raised a large family here and lived here until 1947 when he died at age 108. Luna was a well known resident of Big Bend.

I felt this image needed the antique look for obvious reasons so I made this version in Nik Silver Efex Pro.

Luna's Jacal

Which do you prefer?

Comments

1. Alexander says

Anne,
    Did you change smth on your blog ? I can’t get a bigger version of your pictures any longer.
    Alex

Hi Alexander, I have had terrible internet access lately so I have been unable to upload the larger size images. At least now I know some people are missing them! I hope to have it back to normal in a week or so.

I can’t decide. But I was struck by the fact that the Nik version coloring and exposure looked like a scene out of the cowboy movies that I watched on my grandmother’s black-and-white TV when I was young (except with better reception).

3. Karyn18 says

I prefer the colored one. Black and white is okay, but if you really want to look it more antique, try Sepia. That will really look old.

Hi Karyn, thank you for your feedback! Actually this one is sepia. It has a bit of a coffee tone to it. Maybe not as much as a regular sepia image though. I appreciate your visit and comments.

Hi Edith! Thanks again for your feedback, I always appreciate your point of view on the processing. I have a hard time choosing between the various versions of an image I produce – I think I am too close to them and maybe I’ll have a more definitive opinion when I look at them later. Thanks again.