Sunset on a Ghost Town

As the sky began to change and late afternoon turned to evening, I made my way to the ruins of the old Chisos Mining Company in Terlingua, Texas. It was such a peaceful evening. I felt lucky to be able to experience such a magical place.

Terlingua, Texas

Terlingua, Texas

Terlingua, Texas

Terlingua, Texas

36 Responses to “Sunset on a Ghost Town”

Those are some awesome skies Anne. They really rock.
    Len Saltiel recently posted..Wild HorsesMy Profile

2. Wow, this is great, Anne! Love all the details and such in the empty outlines of the buildings. That 3rd shot has something bright red in the window there… a drape perhaps?… anyways, it drew my eye straight away to it. Love this, my friend!
    Toad Hollow Photography recently posted..Waiting On A TrainMy Profile

• Hi Toad, the bright red is actually a red light. I asked my husband Ray to go inside and direct the light to the back wall and out that one window. We didn’t have a very powerful light though. I would like to try it again with a stronger light, but I like the effect too. He’s such a good photo assistant ;)

3. Hi Anne,

I’ve been enjoying your posts – I particularly like the images of the ghost town in Texas. They take me back to when as a young boy and I watched the western movies.

Enjoy your journey. Keep the images coming!

Fred O’Donnell

• Hi Fred, thank you very much for your visit and comments on the blog. I’m really glad you have enjoyed reading about my journey. Texas was just like a western movie, I really like it there.

4. Russ Bishop says:

Fantastic skies Anne and I love the subtle processing on these images. Great sense of place.
    Russ Bishop recently posted..The Value of FiltersMy Profile

5. Eden says:

Gorgeous work, Anne!
    Eden recently posted..A Softer RoseMy Profile

Simply stunning Anne. You’ve captured the most beautiful light and have made it magical for us.
    Edith Levy recently posted..“You Go In First” – Weekly Photo Challenge – Two SubjectsMy Profile

7. Luke Stanton says:

such amazing colours, and so crisp. amazing!

8. Beautiful photos Anne, I love the atmospheric skies and the detail you have captured in the buildings, brilliant work!
    Phil McDermott recently posted..My priority as an outdoor photographerMy Profile

9. Jamin says:

I love that second photo! I like the effect of the sky to the ruin.
    Jamin recently posted..best animal costumesMy Profile

10. [...] “Sunset on a Ghost Town” by Anne McKinnell [...]

11. Beautiful shots, Anne. You did a fantastic job capturing the light (a nod to your e-book)!

12. Alexander says:

Great shots Anne. Not only lucky to be in this ghost city but lucky with the light too. Very nice.
    Alex

13. Bringing the latest technology of HDR to an old ghost town… very impressing.
    Laura @Travelocafe recently posted..What Would You Trade For The Trip Of A Lifetime to New Zealand?My Profile

14. Kris Koeller says:

Beautiful colors here. I really like your use of light in this series. Well done!
    Kris Koeller recently posted..Dog Day Afternoon in Madison Square ParkMy Profile

15. Adam Allegro says:

Wonderful shots! What a great place to explore!!! Lovely shots, all of them. Nice work Anne!
    Adam Allegro recently posted..Watercolor SeascapeMy Profile

16. Bob Lussier says:

Wonderful work here! Love the mood and colors!
    Bob Lussier recently posted..Night LightMy Profile

17. Chris Nitz says:

Did you do some light painting, or is that the sun coming through the window in the second to last shot? Totally cool find Anne!
    Chris Nitz recently posted..My KahluaMy Profile

• Hi Chris, it is light painting. I asked my husband to go inside the ruin and during the long exposure he used a red light to light the back wall and the window. It wasn’t a very powerful light though so it wasn’t quite the effect I wanted. It turned out more subtle but still ok. Thanks for your comments!

18. Daniel says:

Hi:
    my name is Daniel. this massage is from Taiwan.(below JAPAN)
    I am learning English now and browse through the NEWS web site for learning.
    I forget i am through BBC or CNN travel page to connect with your blog.
    i am reading your article.one is “Sunset on a Ghost Town” and “Terlingua, a Texas Ghost Town”
    i like your picture and through your article to understand what is TEXAS GHOST TOWN.
    like your story . especially about your dogs. Oscar. wish you and your dogs.
    please forgive me for my bad English.
    i am follow your travel article. bye

• Hi Daniel, Thank you very much for your comment all the way from Taiwan! And thank you for the best wishes for my dog, he is doing much better now. I’m very glad that you are enjoying the blog. Stay in touch!