Cathedral Rock, Sedona, Arizona

The most iconic image of Sedona, Arizona, has to be Cathedral Rock. It costs $9 to access Red Rock Crossing, which almost deterred me from going, but I just couldn’t go home without my iconic shot. I like icons.

Cathedral Rock, Red Rock Crossing, Sedona, Arizona
Please click the images to view larger versions.

You can photograph Cathedral Rock from many different angles providing different foreground features which gives you a little more bang for your buck.

Cathedral Rock, Red Rock Crossing, Sedona, Arizona

I hate to bore you with too many shots from the same location, but tomorrow I have two amazingly lucky shots I got here.

22 Responses to “Cathedral Rock, Sedona, Arizona”

1. Very nice, Anne! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a shot here that includes the buildings, but I like it. They give a nice sense of scale and context, and emphasize the surreality of the rock formations.
    Jackson Frishman recently posted..Geology of Dinosaur – In Print!My Profile

• Thanks Jackson! I was surprised to find the buildings too since I hadn’t seen an image with them. You always see the same one with the river in the front, which I also took, I couldn’t help myself. But it is nice to see some different perspectives.

2. Brian Hoffman says:

Loving the reflections!

• Thanks Brian! I think the reflections can get even better at different times of year when the puddles are larger. I only had small puddles so small reflections too. It was a neat perspective though.

3. Mim says:

Spectacular capture with the reflections in the puddles and the long foreground rocks leading the eye to the iconic formations.

4. Steve says:

I can’t resist icons either. Nice captures, Anne. I also like the reflection in the puddle. Were these single or multiple exposures?

5. Greg says:

Awesome shots! Looking forward to seeing the others. All the tourists go to Slide Rock State Park – which is spectacular in its own right. Like you, however, many of us locals prefer Crescent Moon Ranch. You did a great job of capturing it in a spectacular light!

6. LensScaper says:

I remember this view – just looked through the old colour prints, and Slide Rock that someone mentioned. Oh, happy memories!
    LensScaper recently posted..Ginkgo Biloba in SpringMy Profile

I love the reflection in that little puddle of water in the second image. Fantastic.
    Edith Levy recently posted..Enjoy!My Profile

8. Nice job once again Annne! I love the Sedona area but could certainly do without the crowds and overdevelopment.

• Hi Alan, oh I so agree! It would be much nicer without all the people :) I have grown used to the wilderness and it is always a huge adjustment for me to go to such an overcrowded place. Thanks for the compliment.

9. Mehmet Nariçi says:

Sometimes, even the heaven of the rocks reflects.

10. Eden says:

Really great shots here, Anne! Love the barn in the top image, and the reflections in the second are wonderful.
    Eden recently posted..The Same, But AbstractMy Profile

11. Heidi19 says:

This is a very impressive photos Anne! I hope one day i can do this too. Thank you so much for sharing this and Keep up the good work. I’m looking forward on your next post!
    Heidi19 recently posted..Happy New Year To All Of You And Hope You Like The Aquarium Fish Photos Here …My Profile