Rock Formations in Sedona, Arizona

At sunrise and sunset the rocks surrounding Sedona, Arizona, glow with shades of red and orange. Add a few clouds in the sky and you can get some dramatic landscape images. But even on a blue sky day, the contrast between the red and blue also makes for some stunning scenery.

Here are some of the more well known rock formations. Please click the images to view larger versions.

Sedona, Arizona

The Nuns

Bell Rock, Sedona, Arizona

Bell Rock

Bell Rock, Sedona, Arizona

A closer view of the top of Bell Rock

Chapel of the Holy Cross, Sedona, Arizona

Chapel of the Holy Cross (that's the chapel in the lower right)

And my favourite…

Sedona, Arizona

Snoopy Rock

(If you don’t see it, imagine Snoopy sleeping on the top of his dog house. That’s woodstock on the tip of his nose.)

16 Responses to “Rock Formations in Sedona, Arizona”

1. Howard J says:

Hah! I love Snoopy! Great images as always Anne, I also really enjoyed the vertical wide Bell Rock shot, great depth of field on that one.

I see that you’re now in my neck of the woods, so how are you liking our great state of Utah so far? Hopefully you’ve been able to find some fun things to shoot.
    Howard J recently posted..Week 18 of 52 – Theme: “Shadows”My Profile

• Hi Howard, I loved Utah! So much to see all in a relatively close distance. I really enjoyed the less popular places actually. Like Capitol Reef and Kodachrome Basin. Zion, Bryce and Arches were also amazing of course. Oh and Goblins, that was cool too. Images coming soon … Thanks for your comments.

2. Eden says:

Lovely colors in these, Anne :)
    Eden recently posted..Cottonwood TreeMy Profile

3. LensScaper says:

I’ve loved this series, Anne. I have to say we absolutely loved this area and I recall one or two very impressive Artist’s studios on the main road through the town.
    LensScaper recently posted..Rustling Spring LeavesMy Profile

• Hi Andy, thank you so much, I’m glad you enjoyed the series. Sedona was great, the only thing is all the people. I would like to go again when it is not high season. There were some really nice photographer’s galleries and painters too of course.

4. Wow…these are stunning Anne! I feel jealous of your travels…
    Siddhartha Joshi recently posted..The most tiring and rewarding trek – Mount DiabloMy Profile

• Hi Sid, thank you! I am lucky to be able to travel like this, but it is really not as hard as it seems to just pack up everything and take off. I highly recommend it :)

5. Kathy Lucas says:

I soooo envy you, Anne, and I so enjoy each and every one of your photos. Thank you for sharing!

6. Russ Bishop says:

You really captured some beauties there in Sedona Anne.
    Russ Bishop recently posted..Happy Mother’s Day!My Profile

• Thank you very much Russ, there are beautiful rock formations everywhere in Sedona. You just have to wait for the right light and you are pretty much guaranteed a good shot.

7. Jim Denham says:

Fantastic set of images Anne! Great tones and wonderful detail! Love the Snoopy rocks!
    Jim Denham recently posted..Rays of SummerMy Profile

8. Gorgeous images Anne! I definitely have this on my list of places to go. Great work as always!
    Patricia Davidson recently posted..Spring Art ShowsMy Profile