Rock Formations in Sedona, Arizona

At sunrise and sunset the rocks surrounding Sedona, Arizona, glow with shades of red and orange. Add a few clouds in the sky and you can get some dramatic landscape images. But even on a blue sky day, the contrast between the red and blue also makes for some stunning scenery.

Here are some of the more well known rock formations. Please click the images to view larger versions.

Sedona, Arizona
The Nuns
Bell Rock, Sedona, Arizona
Bell Rock
Bell Rock, Sedona, Arizona
A closer view of the top of Bell Rock
Chapel of the Holy Cross, Sedona, Arizona
Chapel of the Holy Cross (that's the chapel in the lower right)

And my favourite…

Sedona, Arizona
Snoopy Rock

(If you don’t see it, imagine Snoopy sleeping on the top of his dog house. That’s woodstock on the tip of his nose.)

Comments

Hah! I love Snoopy! Great images as always Anne, I also really enjoyed the vertical wide Bell Rock shot, great depth of field on that one.

I see that you’re now in my neck of the woods, so how are you liking our great state of Utah so far? Hopefully you’ve been able to find some fun things to shoot.
    Howard J recently posted..Week 18 of 52 – Theme: “Shadows”My Profile

Hi Howard, I loved Utah! So much to see all in a relatively close distance. I really enjoyed the less popular places actually. Like Capitol Reef and Kodachrome Basin. Zion, Bryce and Arches were also amazing of course. Oh and Goblins, that was cool too. Images coming soon … Thanks for your comments.

Hi Andy, thank you so much, I’m glad you enjoyed the series. Sedona was great, the only thing is all the people. I would like to go again when it is not high season. There were some really nice photographer’s galleries and painters too of course.

Hi Sid, thank you! I am lucky to be able to travel like this, but it is really not as hard as it seems to just pack up everything and take off. I highly recommend it :)

2. Kathy Lucas says

I soooo envy you, Anne, and I so enjoy each and every one of your photos. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you very much Russ, there are beautiful rock formations everywhere in Sedona. You just have to wait for the right light and you are pretty much guaranteed a good shot.