Kodachrome Basin State Park, Utah

You would think it would be hard to compete with five national parks in Utah but there are some state parks there that are equally magnificent.

Kodachrome Basin State Park, Utah
Please click on the images to view larger versions.

Between Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef National Parks lies Kodachrome Basin State Park where we camped for a couple of nights. The campsite was right in among the monolithic stone spires. We even had one right in our own campsite.

Kodachrome Basin State Park, Utah

I find it a little overwhelming visually when all three primary colours are present in a scene – each of them super saturated naturally. No wonder a National Geographic Society expedition in 1948 named this place Kodachrome.

I bet there are some readers out there who don’t remember Kodachrome. Sigh. Oh, the amazing colours that came out of that film…

Kodachrome Basin State Park, Utah

Perhaps I enjoyed a few too many red rock formations while in Utah because now, as I am processing the images, they look a little boring to me. I’m hoping that is just because I’ve seen so many.

People who live here must dream rock formations.

Pinterest

So I joined Pinterest. I’ve heard so much about it I just had to check it out. It’s sort of like digital scrapbooking. You make collections of things you are interested in. If you are on Pinterest too let’s connect! You can also pin any of the images in my posts to your boards by clicking the “pin it” button at the top of each post.

Comments

Welcome to Pinterest! It’s a lot of fun :)

I love this series of shots Anne – great work. The second one is stunning, must have been a sight to see that in person!
    John recently posted..Under the SeaMy Profile

Very nice Anne – I love the 3rd image. Kodachrome is one of those places, sandwiched between the other spectacular parks of souther Utah, that is easily overlooked but really does have a unique quality all its own.
    Russ Bishop recently posted..Intimate LandscapesMy Profile

3. Chrystal says

Absolutely amazing. I especially love the second photo. Must be lovely to camp there and enjoy the view.

I was thrilled to see this post. We are getting ready to head out for a Southern Utah Tour and plan to stay 3 nights in Kodachrome and venture out to Bryce Canyon from there.

Love that 3rd image, Anne! It’s a real stunner.

Kodachrome Basin is really nice–I’d like to get back there for some photography, especially after reading your post!

I remember Kodachrome Anne and I also remember visiting the park and being amazed. If I remember right, it is somewhere past Cannonville and is relatively remote. I’d love to get back. Wonderful images of the park.
    Len Saltiel recently posted..Return to MarsMy Profile

7. Dave Noordhoff says

Reading about your favourite campsite in the Alabama Hills reminds me of our all time favourite campsite … in Kodachrome Basin SP.

We had a week in site #12, the site furthest from the campground entrance. It’s a long loop paved pad, arranged so when your trailer is placed properly it is almost invisible from the campground road.

It has the largest juniper in the campground shading the picnic table and BBQ grill. Backing it is a low ridge of fabulously shaped rocks (we called it Turtle Ridge) and then the huge cliff up which Eagle Views Trail climbs almost 500 feet (we were there in 2007, since then this trail has sometimes been closed).

Another great thing about Kodachrome Basin is that it puts you close enough to tour Bryce Canyon, Red Canyon, much of the the Grand Staircase – Escalante National Monument (Grosvenor Arch, Cottonwood Canyon and the Paria River area), plus all the great sites within the park itself … unlimited possibilities to explore!

Ever since our time there we have called #12 “God’s Campsite”, and we tell people we had it for the week He wasn’t using it!

Maxdave