I’m in Canadian Geographic!!

I’m home! I arrived home on Vancouver Island in British Columbia one year to the day from my departure on a grand adventure travelling around North America in an RV with the goal of photographing as many beautiful places as possible.

I still have lots of images from Utah to show you before I write my post-trip wrap up and give you the final budget report. But for now I have to share with you my awesome welcome home surprise.

Best Wild Weather Pictures 2012, Canadian Geographic
Best Wild Weather Pictures 2012, Canadian Geographic
As I was going through a year’s worth of mail I saw a large envelope from Canadian Geographic and I think my heart skipped a beat.I remembered being short-listed for their “Best Wild Weather Pictures of 2012″ collectors edition magazine, but I never heard anything back so I thought I didn’t make the final cut.

Flipping through the magazine I was thrilled when I came across my own image.

Go with the flow, Canadian Geographic Best Wild Weather Pictures 2012
Go with the flow, Canadian Geographic Best Wild Weather Pictures 2012

Canadian Geographic!! Seriously Canadian Geographic!! OMG!!

Here is the original version of the image they chose for the magazine. I made this image at Green Cove in Cape Breton where I stood on top of one of the highland cliffs and looked down to the waves washing over the boulders below.

Being recognized by Canadian Geographic is a huge achievement for me and I can’t tell you how ecstatic I am about it. And to think it has been on the shelf for over a month and I didn’t even know.

Have your ever wondered what it is like to be a full-time traveller?

Well now you can find out! Nora Dunn, from The Professional Hobo, has an article today featuring a week in the life of yours truly. Be sure to check out her excellent website and read some of the other “week in the life” stories as well.

Comments

1. Dion V says

Congratulations on being published, Anne! You’ve certainly produced some beautiful work over the past year.

Thank you Darlene! It feels kind of strange to be home. I really miss Oscar and it doesn’t feel right without him. I’m still getting used to it but wonder if I will ever be used to it.

• Darlene says

Oscar will always have a big place in your heart, just a Jordan does in ours. Just remember that letting him go was the right and kind thing to do. And in time you might want another dog, knowing that the new one won’t replace the old one! Lovely time of year to be on Vancouver Island. Where will you spend the summer?

Hi Darlene, we are spending the summer in Nanaimo because my parents live here and I want to spend lots of time with them while I am here. Thanks for your words about Oscar. It is really hard…

2. Karin says

Congratulations Anne, so well deserved!! Can’t wait to hear more about what it’s like to be a nomad, what’s next for you?

Hi Karin, thank you very much! Maybe you saw my next post by now about what is next in my adventure. We are travelling around Vancouver Island for the summer, going back to some of our favourite place and exploring to find new ones. I have some projects I am working on and in the fall we will be going back down south where living is cheap and we can launch our new businesses that we will be running on the road. Thanks for following my adventure!

Hi Dennis, thank you very much! Maybe you saw my next post by now about the coming year? We are travelling around Vancouver Island for the summer, working on some new projects, and in the fall we will be travelling in southwestern USA. Thanks for following along!

3. Kaz says

Welcome on Canadian soil.
    And congratulations on being recognized not only by us..
    Will miss your reports, but I’m sure you’ll hit the road again, when you do I’ll be gladly ‘traveling’ with you.

Hi Kaz, thank you very much. I will continue to post travel stories and images throughout the summer. I still have lots of images from Utah to go through and then I’ll be showing you my home on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

Congratulations on being in Canadian Geographic. What a great honor. Thanks for the shout out in a week in the life. We were quite happy to meet you as well. Best of luck and maybe we’ll meet again next year.

5. Jon Lamrouex says

Anne,

After living vicariously through your adventures you have given many the hope that their dreams can happen too.

Keep up the great work and please, keep sharing.

Hi Jon, thank you very much :) It was really a great bonus at the end of the trip to be recognized this way and gives me that extra push I needed now to keep going. I haven’t made any new images since I lost Oscar but hopefully I will pick up the camera again soon.

6. serge tremblay says

Wow! wow!
    What an ego booster to be feature in Canadian Geographic!
    A thousand bravos!!!…and welcome back home…

ST

Congrats on the feature Anne. It has to be quite exciting for you. Well deserved. It must be strange to be home after such a long time away. Can’t imagine going through a year’s worth of mail.
    Len Saltiel recently posted..Emerald TranquilityMy Profile

Hi Len, thank you very much, it was extremely exciting especially since it was such a surprise. Going through the mail was surprisingly fast. My parents were helping me out by taking care of my mail and opening everything as it came in so, even though they kept all the junk mail, going through it was pretty fast when all the envelopes were already open.

Hi Michael, it is really exciting and I highly encourage you to do it if it is something you want to experience. Don’t wait for the right time. You have to make it be the right time. I heard so many stories from people who waited and then something big happened that prevented them from ever doing it. Thank you very much for your congratulations, I can still hardly believe it happened.