OMG a Double Arch! What does it meeeeean???

I still cannot get that half crazed double rainbow guy out of my head. (If you don’t know what I’m talking about just search on YouTube, you’ll find it.) It was all I could do to restrain myself from yelling out “Oh my god, oh my god, it’s a double arch, what does it meeeeean???” when I saw this double arch at Arches National Park in Utah.

I mean it would have totally echoed off the walls and everything :)

Double Arch, Arches National Park, Utah

Please click the images to view larger versions.

But I did manage to restrain myself and focussed my creativity on finding interesting compositions.

Double Arch, Arches National Park, Utah

I hiked up the hill to the back wall, which was harder than it looks because that sandstone is slippery, to make the image below looking back through the arch towards the parking lot. The rock formation in the distance is where I made the sunset shot I showed you last week.

Double Arch, Arches National Park, Utah

From the same spot I also made this composition, which I think is the most interesting of the series. That’s Ray there in the centre admiring the view.

Double Arch, Arches National Park, Utah

All of these images are high dynamic range made by combining three exposures: one for the shadows, one for the mid-tones, and one for the highlights. Then I finished the images in Color Efex Pro by bringing out some of the details in the rocks.

Comments

Hi Len, I think I liked double arch best too because there are so many different angles to work with. Plus, the windows is so close. And, it’s an easy hike. Lots of plusses. Thanks for your comments, as always Len.

Anne, another great set of shots, lovely HDR work. I love Double Arch it’s probably my favorite, not sure if it’s because it’s so cool to just look at, or because it’s really easy to get to from the car! ;-) An added bonus is how close the Windows arches are to Double Arch, that’s a 4 for 1 deal!

Did you know they used it in the movie Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? It’s in the opening scenes, those were all shot in Arches and surrounding areas although the last time I looked there were no hidden treasure rooms to be found under the arches, just sand and rock.
    Howard J recently posted..Week 23 of 52 Theme: “Blue”, Our annual Lagoon amusement park tripMy Profile

Hey Howard, exactly, it’s a 4 in one deal. Great location, I could spend some time there. I didn’t know they used this location in the Indiana Jones movie, but now that you mention it I do remember seeing a big keyhole … Maybe there is a giant key and a giant treasure!

2. Mim Eisenberg says

Speaking of OMG! OMG, these are just about the best photos I’ve ever seen of Double Arch (I’ve been there but at the wrong time of day for good shooting, and I certainly didn’t hike up behind it to get that marvelous view looking toward the parking lot). The last image is superb. Your physical ability to do the hiking, your skill with your camera, and your knowledge and skill in post processing are superb. Kudos, Anne.

Hi Mim, Thank you so much for your comments. I have to say though, the physical ability to do the hiking isn’t really my strong point! I have a really bad back and can only carry a limited amount of equipment and falling is out of the question. Lucky for me I have a handy photo assistant in my husband who is very agile and always goes ahead when I stop to take photographs, so he runs around on the rocks checking out all the places and comes back to tell me which ones are worth my effort, and then he’ll even help me get there. I dont think I would have even tried to get up to that back wall without him.

Hi Edith, I know, there is so much to see in the southwest! I’m looking forward to spending the winter down there so I will have more time to explore. Thank you very much for your comments.