Battery Point Lighthouse, Crescent City

I seem to be lucky when it comes to photographing Crescent City, California, and in particular the Battery Point Lighthouse.

When I visited there a couple of years ago I was treated to the most dramatic sunset. A red fiery sky that quickly turned to deep purple.

This time was totally different, but I really like the cool blue tranquil feeling of the image I made at twilight. It fits the sad feeling I had at the time because my old beagle wasn’t doing so well.

Please click the image to view a larger version.

I waited until dusk when the sky is that cobalt blue colour and also when the lighthouse turns on its house lights. The lighthouse flashes its light for 3 seconds every 25 seconds and this is a 10 second exposure. So I would wait for the light to flash, count to 20 and then trip to shutter to ensure the light would appear to be on in the image.

The long exposure makes the ocean appear smooth but I also added to this feeling by using a soft diffusing filter in post-processing.

17 Responses to “Battery Point Lighthouse, Crescent City”

Beautiful light and color Anne. It looks so serene.
    Len Saltiel recently posted..Early Morning With the GodsMy Profile

2. Jill says:

Oh, that is just gorgeous. I love the cool colors and simple composition.

3. Clive Smith says:

Beautiful. Nice shot.

4. Steve says:

Beautiful colours – great photo.
    Steve recently posted..Kyaiktiyo Pagoda, aka The Golden Rock – MyanmarMy Profile

5. Jimi Jones says:

Awesome image, Anne. So clean and crisp. Love this composition!
    Jimi Jones recently posted..Daybreak on The StripMy Profile

6. Russ Bishop says:

Love the subtle color and great use of negative space in this Anne.
    Russ Bishop recently posted..Drawing on the Right Side of the BrainMy Profile

7. Beautiful, love the colors of the sky at dusk.
    Metro DC Photography recently posted..A New Sun is BornMy Profile

8. Born27 says:

Hi Anne!
    You’ve got a very beautiful photo here.. I love the way it was captured. The reflection of the light made this photo more wonderful.
    Born27 recently posted..Android conference call appMy Profile

9. Kris Koeller says:

Beautiful shot. I like the minimalism here. Crescent City is a gorgeous location. Enjoy the scenery!
    Kris Koeller recently posted..A Stormy Night in New York CityMy Profile