Fire Wave, Valley of Fire, Nevada

One of my favourite spots in the Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada was Fire Wave.

I’m not sure if that’s because it’s a really spectacular spot or because I got the shot despite some people who really didn’t want me to get it.

Fire Wave, Valley of Fire, Nevada, by Anne McKinnell
Please click the images to view larger versions.

After driving for an hour and a half to the trailhead and hiking for hours and hours in the blazing sun (okay, it was only 30 minutes but it seemed like forever, I thought I was going to faint it was so hot – and it was only March!) we got there and the light was terrible.

It happens.

But what doesn’t usually happen is a bunch of rude photographers who thought they owned the place and left all their stuff all over everywhere so no one else was able to get a decent shot. People like that really piss me off.

That’s okay. It just made me extra determined and willing to endure another hike a few days later. You should have seen my smile when we got there and there were puffy clouds to meet us :)

Fire Wave, Valley of Fire, Nevada, by Anne McKinnell

That’s Ray standing up there. He’s a great model isn’t he?

18 Responses to “Fire Wave, Valley of Fire, Nevada”

1. Hilde De Winne says:

These are awesome! Valley of Fire is no doubt awesome. Didn’t go there on our Utah trip in May, because time was limited, and you have to make choices. Difficult choices. Glad to be able to see it through your eyes Anne! Thanks for sharing!

2. Marc Theriault says:

Great picture, Anne. Ray makes all the difference! : )

3. Eileen says:

Such an amazing place, Anne. Glad you ‘endured’ that 30 minute hike again the second time, because you photographs of this area are super.

4. Amazing photo! Your perseverance was well worth the extra trek! Such a dramatic locale and your model adds context and puts everything in perspective. Beautiful!
    Mary @ Green Global Travel recently posted..BAHAMAS: Embrace Resort Brings Sustainability to the ExumasMy Profile

• Thank you very much Mary! It’s great to see you here, I’m a big fan of Green Global Travel. You always have such interesting articles on your site, I love following your and Bret’s journey. The valley of fire was indeed amazing, I highly recommend it if you are ever in the area. It’s only about an hour drive from Las Vegas.

5. Melissa says:

And a great shot it is!
    Melissa recently posted..Valley of Fire State Park March 2013 EventsMy Profile

6. Always amazing to me the complexity of nature and just how much variety there is. The swirls in those rocks are breathtaking. Great stuff as always, Anne.
    T.W. Anderson @ Marginal Boundaries recently posted..Comment on Travels With Cristina in Cancun by T.W. AndersonMy Profile

• Thank Tim! What amazes me is how different the rock formation are from one place to the next. Yet there is always the same explanation (there was once an inland sea …. erosion … glacier … ) :)

7. Richard Wong says:

Kudos for persevering Anne. I can’t stand going to certain places to encounter rude photographers. Most landscape photographers would prefer to have a scene to themselves clearly but the least we could do when another shows up is to be courteous. Make the most of a less than ideal situation.

• I totally agree. It doesn’t happen often that other photographers are rude like that. Usually we’re a pretty nice bunch :) I’ll never forget one time I was in antelope canyon and there was this one photographer who was doing long exposures and he kept screaming out “NO FLASH!!!” He was rather pissed off at the point and shooters who flashed and ruined all his long exposures. It was pretty funny but on the other hand I did sympathize with him. Thanks for your comments Richard.

8. Joaquim says:

Hello, I am planing to visit Valley of Fire in late April, what time is the best to photograph the Fire Wave, sunrise or sunset?
    You have very nice photos of the place.

• Hi Joaquim, well I haven’t been there at sunrise, but it sure was beautiful at sunset because the light coming from the west falls directly on the wave and brings out the colour in the rock. Have a great trip!