Superstition Mountains

One of the best things about RVing is that you meet people along the way who tell you their stories of places they have been. It’s not hard to discover the best places to go because they keep coming up in conversation.

The Superstition Mountains in Lost Dutchman State Park, Arizona, is one of the places that kept coming up, so we decided to pay it a visit. We didn’t stay there though because looking on their website I could see that all 130 campsites were full! We just did a day trip, which I was treating as a scouting trip for a future photography expedition because I thought it would be full of people.

I don’t know where all those campers went! The campsites were indeed full, but there were hardly any people in the park.

The wildflowers were just starting so it was a great opportunity for me to capture the wildflowers in the foreground with the incredible mountain range in the background.

Superstition Mountains, Lost Dutchman State Park, Arizona by Anne McKinnell
Please click the image to view a larger version.

Now we’re planning on camping there next year since the campsites were beautiful and you can see this scene right from the sites.

Comments

Great shot, great timing; we missed the wildflowers by a couple of weeks. We managed to get one of the last sites at Lost Dutchman, well worth the pre-booking, although our lifestyle doesn’t usually allow that. Once again Anne, great capture.
    Bryan Gorrie recently posted..Farewell to USMy Profile

That’s the problem being a snowbird, we’re always just ahead of the wildflowers as we return home after winter. Oh well, if that’s our biggest problem, then I guess we’re living pretty good lives :) Thanks for your visit and comments Bryan.

It certainly is! We found a few of these uncrowded places this year. The more time we spend down here the more exploring we get to do, and there’s so much to see. Thanks for your comments Russ.

2. Larry says

Beautiful photo. The wild flowers definitely kick it up a level. Just added another place to my photography bucket list. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, the wildflowers make a big difference in this image. There were also some chain fruit chollas that make a good foreground. This park is certainly worth a visit. Thanks for your comments Larry.

3. tarang patil says

GREAT PHOTO! love the DOF.

we live at the base of Superstition Mountains in Gold Canyon, AZ.
    we take this walk almost every other day and it is beautiful.
    i have seen owls nesting in the hole in the left third of the photo.
    we are two weeks away from full bloom of flowers.

Hi Tarang, I wish I could be there to see the full bloom!! I was lucky to get the wildflowers I did. Next year I’m sure we will spend more time here and I’ll be looking for those owls! What a great place to live. To have this walk in your backyard would be incredible. Thanks for your visit and comments, much appreciated.

• tarang patil says

love your website.
        please keep in touch as i could use your help.
        please come back to AZ.
        i also do a lot of AK(Alaska, ANC, ENA(Kenia).
        i have a lot of photos from AK.

again, great photo and website,
        regards,

tarang.

Anne, You work is absolutely Amazing! Can’t wait to see your photos of Africa!! How exciting!!! you are so inspiring!!!! Thank you for sharing all of your beautiful images!!!!!